Our School

At Hoover Elementary School, we believe that all students will be treated with respect and will treat others with respect and that all students can and will learn and be successful academically, emotionally, and socially. Learning should be engaging and all students should feel safe, secure, and cared for at school, knowing that the adults are here to help them be successful in school and life. 

 

There are a number of co-curricular activities as well as enrichment opportunities offered including a before-school athletic intramural program that is run by our physical education teachers. We also have a musical intramural program, the Harmony Hawks, and a student council that meets after school twice a month to plan morale-building spirit activities. At Hoover, we offer an after school Extended Day Program (EDP), which helps us target students in grades 3-5 who need additional assistance in mathematics and reading to ensure that they are successful. By collaboratively reviewing data, and creating formative assessments to monitor growth, our staff is able to use the time as efficiently as possible.

 

The PTA at Hoover Elementary does an amazing job of supporting our staff and community throughout the school year. The organization makes financial contributions that help teachers work more effectively with our students, and hosts events throughout the year to encourage families to learn more about our school. The PTA has also helped to purchase new playground equipment for the school and has purchased iPads to help students develop their technological skills. Our PTA has also been essential in providing dinners for school functions, and breakfast for family events. 

 

Hoover Elementary was built in the early 1950’s with a two-wing structure, which has since been converted to three wings. The school was named through a contest conducted by the Cedar Rapids Gazette. It was agreed upon that it would be appropriate to dedicate one building to the only president born in Iowa, Herbert C. Hoover. In August 1954, Herbert Hoover came to Cedar Rapids to dedicate the new Hoover school.